Monday, October 09, 2006

Spring 07 Wrapup

Fashion week spring 07 has ended, and now it's time to determine what we love and what we hate. Because sometimes it's hard to compare collections and rank them, I've decided to have categories instead. They are...

Most Romantic Alexander Mcqueen and Yves Saint Laurent had the most romantic collections for spring. The flowers, the vibrant, powerful colors, the elaborateness of their clothing, and the sheer beauty of their work set them apart. Honorable mention to John Galliano.
Most Classic Christian Dior and Chanel. A lot of people didn't like Dior's collection, and although I didn't like the suits, I completely fell in love with the dresses. The draping is perfect! With Chanel, this isn't the best collection, but it was still very cute and classic. Honorable mention to Narciso Rodriguez.
Most Creative Givenchy wins by a long shot!!! I loved the shapes that Tisci did, and his dresses were amazing! Balenciaga was also very creative, although this is definately not my favorite Ghesquiere collection.
Most Effortlessly Chic These in my opinion are the most fun, wearable, and chic looks. There's a three way tie between Chloe, Marni, and Dries van Noten. Dries Van Noten usually wouldn't fall under this category, but this season's collection was so easy and wearable.
Most Surprisingly Good I usually hate Versace. I didn't completely love this collection, but I liked it. The shorts were amazing, and the dresses (some of them) were good. La Perla's past collection weren't necessarily bad, they were just uninteresting, and this collection was really cute!
Most Disappointing Dolce & Gabbana's last two collections were really good, so when I saw this collection I wanted to cry. Horrible fabrics, horrible shapes. I expect Prada to be good, and although some will argue that this collection was good, just different (by theory is that they're too scared to say anything bad about the Queen of trends, which Prada is) I expect much much better from Prada.
Best Breakthrough Balmain's breakthrough collection, im my opinion, was last season. However, it got absolutely no attention. This season's collection, which is also very good, has everyone now talking about Balmain. It was very easy, very Parisian, very pretty. I've seen a few of Yigal Azrouel's previous season works, and they were not very impressive. However, this season, Yigal showed tremendous potential, making a very Helmut Lang-esque collection. Everyone loves Helmut, everyone misses Helmut, so Yigal did the right thing. This is Sabyasachi's first collection is New York, and it was very nice. A little bit Dries, very ethic, and the fabrics are heavenly.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Valentino?
It's a combination of elegance and romance, in my opinion.
(:
are you fashion student,
by any chance?

9:17 PM  
Blogger dewi said...

Now that I think about it, Valention did deserve to be recognized. Their collection this season was the best I've seen in awhile.
I don't go to a fashion school, but I have taken fashion related classes and am looking into internships in the fashion industry at this moment.

10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home