Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sex and Fashion: Part 1

I've been VERY busy the past few days, so I haven't posted for awhile.
Anyways, a friend of mine was reading a book by Candace Bushnell novel. I've never read her novels, but I do love Sex and the City, which she wrote.
Thanks to Ms. Bushnell, my friend now thinks everyone involved in fashion is a whore. This made me think...
On one hand, fashion is considered a very glamorous industry, and sex has been trendy one in a while. Tom Ford, in my opinion, revolutionalized sex in fashion. In spring 03, Dolce & Gabbana had these lovely necklaces.
In addition, John Galliano, who is one of my favorites, makes clothes to make men want to "f***" the people wearing it.
On the other hand, fashion = clothing, and clothing in essense does not promote sex. The fashion industry is also mostly by homosexual men and women. It doesn't seem to make sense that fashion promotes sex.
I was having a discussion with a male friend a few days ago. He said that fashion makes women subservient to men, because women wear what they wear to impress men. I would beg to differ. We dress the way we do because we have a strong aesthetic sense. We're hardly as sex-obsessed as men (there are exceptions).

to be continued (when i have more time)...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sadly, we often wear what we wear to impress other women!

11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home